Are You a New Student Entering Rapid City Area Schools?
New Student Enrollment
New Students entering Rapid City Schools for the first time must present a certified copy of their birth certificate, immunization records, proof of residence, and social security number. Children entering kindergarten must be five years old on or before September 1, 2022. Kindergarten children are required to have a minimum of 4 doses of OPV/IPV, one of which must be after their fourth birthday; 4 doses of DTaP, one of which must be after their fourth birthday: 2 MMR vaccinations; and 2 varicella vaccinations or a history of chicken pox disease is acceptable with a parent or guardian signature. All kindergarten students and students from outside the U.S. who enroll will have all age appropriate immunizations completed before the first day of attendance. These children will not be allowed to start school until all required immunizations are complete.
Please see RCAS policy JECF-Immunization Requirements for full details on immunization requirements.
All new American Indian students wishing to receive Title VII Indian Education services need to complete a 506 certification form at the beginning of the school year. For more information, contact Indian Education – 394-4071.
New Student Registration
Pre-K (Pre-Kindergarten only)
Preschool registration for the 2022-2023 school year will begin on February 22nd, 2022. The school offices listed below will begin taking calls starting at 7:30 am. You may call the following preschool locations to check on availability: General Beadle 394-1841, R0bbinsdale 394-1825, and Rapid Valley 393-2221.
Since our preschools are funded through Title funds, your home school must be one of the following to register your child: General Beadle, Canyon Lake, Horace Mann, Knollwood, Rapid Valley, Robbinsdale, South Park, Valley View and Wilson. Home schools are determined by your permanent address.
You may register your child for one of the following sections (Ages listed reflect child’s age of turning 3 or 4 on or before September 1, 2022):
- 3 year olds – Tuesday/Thursday mornings
- 3 year olds – Wednesday/Friday mornings
- 4 year olds – Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Friday afternoon
(Start and end times may vary at each school)
- Parents are responsible for transporting their child to and from the classroom
- There is no tuition for morning or afternoon sections
- Children turning 5 on or before September 1st are Kindergarten eligible and not eligible to enroll in preschool
We will only be registering 4 children for each of the 3 year old sections. Because we offer families of currently attending 3 year olds the option to pre-register for next year’s 4 year old section, the number of spots available for next year may be limited. If the section is full when you call, you may place your child’s name on a waiting list, or you may call the following schools to check on availability: General Beadle 394-1841, Robbinsdale 394-1825, and Rapid Valley 393-2221.
Once you have contacted the school that you would like your child to attend and confirmed that there is availability, the parent/guardian will complete an online registration. Please follow the steps below.
To register your child for preschool, please do the following:
1. Call one of the preschools for availability and reserve a placement for your child. Phone calls will be accepted from 7:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
2. The school will need the following:
- Parent/Legal Guardian’s Name
- Child’s Name (as it is on the child’s birth certificate)
- Child’s Birthday
- Phone Number
3. After the above information is given to the school, if you are new to the district, go to the New Student Registration Account Request to submit your account request. (if you need assistance with the account request process please refer to this Guide) Once this is completed, Login to Skyward Family Access with your newly acquired credentials and proceed to register your student. (If you need assistance with the registration process please refer to this Guide) It is recommended that you select “I don’t have an email” to receive your credentials in a pop-up window to continue the registration process. Once you are logged in with your credentials, you may add your email in the appropriate locations. Otherwise, if you enter an email address in the account request, you will receive your credentials via email, which may delay your registration process.
5. If you have questions, please call or email your school directly and someone will get back to you as soon as possible.
6. You will be asked by your school to provide your child’s state certified birth certificate (required by South Dakota state law), immunization records, social security card, and proof of registration at a later date to be scanned into your student’s file.
7. Preschool registrations will be taken on a first-come, first-served basis.
You are your child’s first and most valuable teacher. The first five years of your child’s life are the most important years in his or her development. In fact, children learn and retain more information before the age of six than over the rest of their lives. The more early learning experiences your child is exposed to, the more prepared he or she will be to enter kindergarten.
During children’s early years, families and child care providers can ensure children are prepared for school by helping children develop an array of skills. Check out the documents below for more information.
For kindergarten screening, please bring your child, your child’s certified birth certificate, immunization records, social security card, and proof of your residence to your home attendance area. After scanning, these documents will be returned to you. If you have not done so, please complete the on-line registration below. If you do not have a computer, ask for assistance on the day of the screening. Parent(s)/Guardian(s) need to attend with their student(s). Click here for Kindergarten Screening locations and times.
To register your child for kindergarten for the 2022-2023 school year, please do the following:
1. Go to the links below and follow the instructions to complete the on-line registration. If you already have Skyward Family Access due to having a currently enrolled student, use your credentials to login into Skyward and add the new student to your family.
2. If you have questions, please call or email your school directly and someone will get back to you as soon as possible.
3. You will be asked by your school to provide your child’s state certified birth certificate (required by South Dakota state law), immunization records, social security card, and proof of registration at a later date to be scanned into your student’s file.
Kindergarten registrations will be taken on a first-come, first-served basis. If enrollment at a school exceeds class size maximums, children will be reassigned to the nearest school with available space.
Kindergarten through 12th Grade
Rapid City Area Schools utilizes an online registration process for new students Kindergarten through 12th grade. This is a continuation of the paperless initiative the district has incorporated over the past several years.
More information, including dates, on Kindergarten registration may be found above under Kindergarten Registration.
New student registration for grades 1-12 will begin on April 1, 2022.
Returning RCAS student registration will begin on May 1, 2022. Please see Student-Returning to District under the Parents tab.
Begin by filling out the New Student Registration Account Request
(If you need assistance with the account request process please refer to this Guide)
It is recommended that you select “I don’t’ have an email” to receive your credentials in a pop-up window to continue the registration process. (Once you are logged in with your credentials, you may add your email in the appropriate locations.) Otherwise, if you enter an email address in the account request, you will receive your credentials via email, which may delay your registration process.
Login with your newly acquired credentials and proceed to register your student.
(If you need assistance with the registration process please refer to this Guide)
**Note: You will be required to provide the following documents to the school to finish the registration process: Birth Certificate (required by South Dakota State Law), Immunization Record, Social Security Card, and Proof of Residency. Middle School students course requests are also completed at the school.
**Note: South Dakota requires all 6th grade students to get one dose of Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis (Tdap) and one dose of Meningococcal (MCV4) vaccine on or after the 11th birthday.
**Note: High School parents/guardians will still need to contact the Registrar’s office at your school to schedule an appointment to complete the registration process.
Central High School – 605-394-4063
Stevens High School – 605-394-4025
Rapid City High School – 605-394-4028
K-8th grade students residing more than 2.5 miles from their assigned school or in a designated area are eligible for bus service. Please complete a Request for Student Busing Form to ride the bus.
Now that I’ve Registered my Child, How do I Track my Child’s Progress?
Please reference the Parent Resource page to get access to online accounts for Skyward Family Access (attendance, grades, assignments, food service balances/purchases), eFunds (electronically add money to your child’s food service account), eHealth (Breakfast/Lunch Menus), and RapidRide information.