IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR PARENTS AND BUS STUDENTS
BUS STOP SAFETY
- If you believe your bus assignment or bus stop is not appropriate call Jim Steen, Student Transportation Supervisor, at 355-3707 between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm, Monday thru Friday. Adjustments in bus stop locations and stop times will be made during the first few weeks of school.
- Be sure your child is at the bus stop five minutes before the estimated pickup time each school day.
- We are committed to the safety of students on the bus and at the bus stops although there are situations that require parent assistance and participation in order to ensure the safety of your child when walking to and from the bus stop.
- Audio, video and gps equipment is in use on buses.
KINDERGARTNERS AND 1ST GRADERS
- To assist bus drivers with identifying our youngest population please be sure to label clearly your child’s backpack with their name in an easily recognizable location.
- As in the classroom young students should be made aware that bus drivers wear a district provided id badge and that it is safe to talk to them.
- Weather and road conditions can vary a great deal across the over 400 square miles of the school district. Transportation decisions that are correct for most of the school district may not appear appropriate in some locations. When the weather is inclement, it is unlikely the buses will run on schedule and it is possible that buses will not be able to travel certain streets and roads.
- It is very important that students be properly dressed for inclement weather conditions and not left alone to wait for their bus.
- Whether or not school is in session, and whether or not the bus is on schedule, it is the parents’ decision if a child attends school. No child should be sent to school when a parent feels the risk too high.
- The decision making process to close schools or operate buses involves many resources. If the Superintendent makes a decision to cancel school the information is passed to radio and television stations prior to 6:00 am. Information will be posted on the school district website at www.rcas.org, local radio and television stations, Nixle, Facebook and Twitter. Additionally the fast-dialer will call parents in the event of a late start, early dismissal or closure.