see also Head Lice 101
Immunizations required for school attendance:
South Dakota Codified Law 13-28-7.1 requires students entering school or early childhood programs to present certification that they have been adequately immunized, according to the recommendations of the Department of Health. The law applies to all children entering school for the first time, including transfer students. Minimum immunization requirements are defined as:
- Four or more doses of diphtheria, pertussis, and tetanus containing vaccine, with at least one dose administered on or after age 4.
- Four or more doses of poliovirus vaccine, at least one dose on or after age 4.
- Two doses of a measles, mumps and rubella vaccine (MMR).
- Two doses of varicella vaccine. History of disease is acceptable with parent/guardian signature.
Requirements for 6th Grade Entry
5. One dose of Tdap is required for 6th grade entry IF the child is 11 years old. If the child is 10 years old when entering 6th grade they have 45 days after their 11th birthday to receive the Tdap vaccination.
6. One dose of meningococcal vaccine is required for the 6th grade entry IF the child is 11 years old. if the child is 10 years old when entering 6th grade they have 45 days after their 11th birthday to receive the meningococcal vaccine.