Health Procedures – Nursing Department
Registered Nurses with the Rapid City Area Schools provide services throughout the district. Nursing services may include:
- Development of individualized health care plans to meet the needs of students with health concerns and daily medication administration.
- Coordination of health screenings. Screenings may include but not limited to vision, dental, height, weight, body mass index and blood pressure.
- Presentation of health topics and education to the students and staff
- Assessment and monitoring of communicable diseases.
- Enforcement of the state law and district policies regarding student’s immunizations.
Immunizations required for school attendance:
South Dakota Codified Law 13-28-7.1 requires students entering school or early childhood programs to present certification that they have been adequately immunized, according to the recommendations of the Department of Health. The law applies to all children entering school for the first time, including transfer students. Minimum immunization requirements are defined as:
- Four or more doses of diphtheria, pertussis, and tetanus containing vaccine, with at least one dose administered on or after age 4.
- Four or more doses of poliovirus vaccine, at least one dose on or after age 4.
- Two doses of a measles, mumps and rubella vaccine (MMR).
- Two doses of varicella vaccine. History of disease is acceptable with parent/guardian signature.
Requirements for 6th Grade Entry
5. One dose of Tdap is required for 6th grade entry IF the child is 11 years old. If the child is 10 years old when entering 6th grade they have 45 days after their 11th birthday to receive the Tdap vaccination.
6. One dose of meningococcal vaccine is required for the 6th grade entry IF the child is 11 years old. if the child is 10 years old when entering 6th grade they have 45 days after their 11th birthday to receive the meningococcal vaccine.
|Jill Greenfield||School Nurse (RN+B)||Email Jill|
|Terra Larsen||School Nurse (RN+B)||Email Terra|
|Kerry Leighty||School Nurse (RN+B)||Email Kerry|
|Jamie Marvin-Vargas||School Nurse (RN+B)||Email Jamie|
|Justina Schmelz||School Nurse (RN+B)||Email Justina|
|Sateera Thompsen||School Nurse (RN+B)||Email Sateera|
|Cynthia Begley||School Nurse (RN+B)||Email Cynthia|
|Lyndsay Farnsworth||School Nurse (RN+B)||Email Lyndsay|
|Nancy Reiss||School Nurse (RN+B)||Email Nancy|
|Merissa Gehm||School Nurse (RN+B)||Email Merissa|